CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about our words. Our words can either build up or tear down someone. Let’s talk about the tearing down of words. When you were in school you probably heard the saying sticks and stones can break your bones and names can never hurt you. You know that is not a true statement. Proverbs14:3- In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them. Let’s take a look at the definitions of some of these words. I like to look up definitions because it gives me a better sense of the word.
Foolish-
1. Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment; silly:
This is what the dictionary defines foolish as. I think the Bible gives a definition as foolish (fool) a whole different meaning. I think it means to those who act contrarily to the Word of God and the ways of God.
Rod- This also had several meanings but I took the one I thought could make a point.
. A stick or bundle of sticks or switches used to give punishment by whipping.
b. Punishment; correction.
4. A scepter, staff, or wand symbolizing power or authority.
5. Power or dominion, especially of a tyrannical nature:

I think we can use our words for punishment or even to show someone we have power over them. I think that is what bullies do. Have you read about the girl that killed herself because of bully’s actions and words to her?
Then we have pride to define: I also took what I thought would go with my point.

IArrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.

I think all of us fight with pride at one time or another.
So let’s sum up the first half of this verse. Our words can cause great harm when we use them foolishly. They can hurt. If we can think before we speak we won’t have to be concerned about hurting others. Do you ever say something and then think why did I say that! Words can really hurt. We can beat someone down with negative words.
Now the next part of this verse. I wonder if mouth in the first half now it is lips has a meaning? I’ll have to ask my husband on this one. Let’s look up wise –

It is having or showing good judgment.

Shall is defined as- to owe, to be under obligation

Preserve is defined as- to keep in perfect or unaltered condition. To keep, maintain unchanged.

So, if you think about these definitions it would be that we have to use good judgment (actually it is our obligation) to keep our words perfect.

Pr 10:19 ¶ In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.

Do you ever find that we are constantly talking that is what gets us into trouble? God wants us to be selective in our talking. Words without meaning can cause us to stumble over them. Let’s look at our words thru God’s eyes!

0 comments: